The Great Lakes Fishery Trust (GLFT) is now accepting Ecological and Biological Research to Inform Management preliminary proposals. This request for proposals process will be used for the disbursement of up to $1.3 million in grants. In 2024, the GLFT’s lead research priority is lake whitefish recruitment. Additionally, the GLFT will consider proposals responding to six other research themes.
The GLFT held a webinar on the application process on December 11, 2023. Watch the webinar here.
Lake Whitefish Recruitment
With its investments in lake whitefish recruitment research, the GLFT seeks to:
- Increase the amount of management-relevant, scientifically sound research related to lake whitefish populations in the upper Great Lakes
- Build the knowledge base of underlying causes of declining lake whitefish populations
- Inform management strategies for lake whitefish in the upper Great Lakes with sound research and science
Additional Research Themes
In 2024, the GLFT will also consider proposals responsive to the following research themes:
- Aquatic invasive species
- Ecosystem disruptions
- Emerging issues
- Fish recruitment
- Habitat research and evaluation
- Native species rehabilitation (lake sturgeon emphasis)
Additional information and instructions to submit a preliminary proposal are available in the application guidance document.
Preliminary proposals submitted in response to this request are due by 5:00 PM EST on Friday, January 12, 2024. The GLFT will only accept submissions through its website at www.glft.org.
If you have questions regarding the program areas or a preliminary proposal submission, please contact staff at [email protected] or 517-371-7468.