The Great Lakes Fishery Trust (GLFT) is now accepting Ecological and Biological Research to Inform Management preliminary proposals. This request for proposals process will be used for the disbursement of up to $1.3 million in grants.
In 2019, the GLFT embarked upon a year-long effort to update its strategic plan. Through that process, the trust updated its research priorities and identified a pressing need for increased effort to answer critical research questions regarding the lake whitefish population in the upper Great Lakes. The GLFT is dedicating a minimum of $500,000 of its 2022 fisheries research budget to lake whitefish recruitment research and intends to prioritize lake whitefish research through at least 2024.
Lake Whitefish Recruitment
With its investments in lake whitefish recruitment research, the GLFT seeks to:
- Increase the amount of management-relevant, scientifically sound research related to lake whitefish populations in the upper Great Lakes
- Build the knowledge base of underlying causes of declining lake whitefish populations
- Inform management strategies for lake whitefish in the upper Great Lakes with sound research and science
Additional Research Themes
In 2022, the GLFT will dedicate up to $800,000 of its research budget to the following research themes:
- Aquatic invasive species
- Ecosystem disruptions
- Emerging issues
- Fish recruitment
- Habitat research and evaluation
- Native species rehabilitation (lake sturgeon emphasis)
Additional information and instructions to submit a preliminary proposal are available in the application guidance document.
Preliminary proposals submitted in response to this request are due by 5:00 PM EST on Friday, January 14, 2022. The GLFT will only accept submissions through this website.
If you have questions regarding the program area or a preliminary proposal submission, please contact staff at [email protected] or 517-371-7468.